Objective

The goal of this project is to understand the process of developing and designing a multi-page editorial unit in print and web/tablet editions. This includes: understanding fundamental differences between various editorial sections of a publication and developing a flexible system while maintaining unity. 

Specifically we were to create a mini-publication through a unique lens of Seattle, including a: cover page, table of contents, department page, feature spread and jump-spread.

 

Research

I began to research, given these guidelines:

  1. Investigation: Seattle's unique traits and other Seattle publications
  2. Demographics: of audience (ethnicity, gender, religion, sexuality, age, income, education, occupation, interests, housing etc.)
  3. Audience: Build personas
  4. Narrative Building
  5. Visual Language/Mood Board 

Here is a snippet of my Research Deck which I presented to my peers. 

After my research, I settled on creating a publication that focuses on the "movements of Seattle", the ever-evolving spirit of this city. It would include content about the arts, music, activism, politics, food, community events, and notable citizens — the underlying swells of our city that bring it to life. 

Let's call — Swell.

The next step was to develop all editorial content.

Editorial Content

I put together a 10-page document containing all original editorial content, from cover text to the 1,000 word feature article. I interviewed Lennox Bishop, a fellow Seattle Pacific University student and my best friend. I also wrote up an article about the recent Civilization exhibit, and then created a handful of "fake" headings, subheadings and pull quotes. 

Here is a snippet of the first page:

Developing the content first was extremely important as I began organizing and designing, because I was able to design with richer intention and greater understanding of the big picture.

Sketches

With the content in mind, I began to sketch mastheads and cover ideas. 

Next, I sketched and brainstormed for: table of contents, department page, feature spread and jump-spread.

Digital Development

I began to work with Illustrator and Indesign. 

I really wanted to nail the masthead, so I worked intensively on this. 

From my sketches, I began to layout every spread in Indesign.

Here are the initial print-outs:

After an intensive critique with my classmates, I worked with my grid to purify the typography, choose new imagery and work toward a more cohesive visual language.

Here's what I came back with: 

After a last crituque, I worked to finalize the last details and was very pleased with the results.

Final Application